My Daily Skincare Routine: How I've Improved My Skin

Thursday, November 05, 2015
     
     I've been getting a lot of compliments about my skin lately and it feels great because I'm finally at a place where I can feel comfortable with the way I look without makeup on. But my skin hasn't always been something I was proud to show off. When I was a teenager, I rarely washed my face and when I did it was with whatever product was cheapest and had the cutest packaging. There was no forethought in my routine and the only logic I had behind skincare was that if I washed my face my skin would be clearer. Even with that, I couldn't bring myself to even remember. So surprise, my ideas about fixing my skin never worked and I would hide behind thick layers of foundation and my super dramatic side-bangs that covered half my face and concealed my acne. I was also a picker. I picked at my face constantly, creating massive scars that I became really insecure about until very recently. Then one day, I decided that I was tired of obsessing over every part of my face and that I was going to do my research to find a way that actually rectified the problem instead of covering the problem up or relying on temporary fixes. 
     So I stopped touching my face and learned to actually take care of my skin. First of all, if you're like me, don't irritate your skin by picking at your acne because it prolongs healing and raises the risks of scarring. It can also cause redness and swelling because the infected material gets pushed further into your skin. So while it seems like a good idea at the time to quickly get it to go away, it actually causes you more harm in the long-run. Second, the thing I learned most importantly was to drink water. A lot of it. All the time. I'm not kidding. It's the biggest miracle of them all. Then, lastly, find a skincare routine that works for you and your skin. By no means am I saying that mine is a cure-all or that it will even fix your problems. We all have different skin types and different reactions to different products. Do your research! It is very important in this process to be open to experimentation and be patient with your results. With that said, I'll be explaining what products are a part of my routine so that you can try out these amazing products and see if they can be added to your own everyday routine.


My Skin Profile

Skin Type: combination (dry usually, oily in my t-zone throughout the day)
Skin Concerns: moderate acne, dehydration, anti-aging

My Products

1. Clarisonic Mia 2
2. Nude Detox Brightening Fizzy Powder
3. Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel
4. Murad Time Release Acne Cleanser
5. Tatcha Polished Rice Enzyme Powder
6. Fresh Black Tea Firming Overnight Mask
7. Caudalie Resveratrol Lift Eye Lifting Balm
8. Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mist
9. Tatcha Luminous Deep Hydration Firming Serum
10. Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Night Oil





     These two items are my absolute must-haves. Investing in a Clarisonic has actually changed my life. It cleanses your skin better than your hands and is gentle enough to use twice a day. The brush head loosens dirt and oils from your pores and then primes the skin to better absorb products. With my Clarisonic, I use my main cleanser. The Murad Time Release Acne Cleanser is definitely the best cleanser that I've ever used. It delivers sustained-released acne medication that stays active even after rinsing. And the anti-aging benefits don't hurt either. While using this product for the past few months, I've definitely noticed my skin's improved appearance over time. I have virtually no breakouts and I haven't had any issues with it drying out my skin. I also love the fresh feeling it gives right after I've rinsed it off. While a pretty pricey cleanser, I've definitely moved around my budgeting to be able to include this in my daily routine as now I couldn't live without it.







     As far as moisturizers are concerned, I tend to be a little more lenient to change. I am constantly switching my moisturizer up. Currently though, I've been trying Clinique's Dramatically Different moisturizing gel. It has a really light texture and doesn't feel thick when applied. Clinique's website says that this moisturizer helps strengthen skin's own moisture barrier by 54%. I don't know about that, but it definitely gets the job done and leaves my skin feeling hydrated. I use it for both my morning and my night moisturizer. For a little extra moisture, I like to spray a few pumps of Tatcha's Luminous Dewy Skin Mist because it adds a little extra oomph to my life and also smells amazing. It can be applied directly to the skin or even over makeup and I use it pretty liberally throughout the day.




     I consider these items to be add-ons. They're not exactly necessary, but they definitely can be added to your routine for a little extra care. Fresh's Black Tea Firming Overnight Mask makes your skin feel more youthful and put-together and also makes your skin feel extra moisturized by the morning. You just apply a generous layer on your face as the last part of your nighttime skincare ritual, then let it work it's magic and wash it off in the morning. I do this 1-2 times a week. Cadualie's eye cream also firms, but targets the wrinkles and lines under the eyes. It's not an extremely heavy eye cream so I use it both morning and night. Tatcha's Luminous Deep Hydration Firming Serum is something I use every day, day and night. In the morning I use it right before my foundation as a primer (because it helps it stick!) and at night I use it as a replacement for the Fresh Tea Firming Overnight Mask the nights I'm not using it. I love it because it leaves my skin with a luminous glow and is super moisturizing, which is helpful when my skin feels especially dry after washing it.




     These products are very similar and use them both interchangeably, but I've found that the Nude Detox Brightening Fizzy Powder feels a little more harsh than Tatcha's Polished Rice Enzyme Powder. For both, you just pour a little bit of the powder into your palm and mix with a little bit of water to activate the formula (it starts to feel like a really light foamy paste). Then you massage the product onto wet skin gently and it will exfoliate your skin, making it feel nice and smooth. I tend to like the Nude Detox a little better because the Vitamin C in it also brightens your skin and I can really see the benefits immediately. But like I said, Tatcha's powder is a little more gentle. I use one or the other about three times a week.





     So this product would be a huge splurge, since the last time I checked at Sephora it cost $105. That's why I have a sample on the left, so that I could try it and see how I felt about it before I dove head first into bankruptcy. But, let me tell you this: my skin has actually never been better. This formula is so amazing! It helps to reduce pore size, improves the appearance of damaged skin, and helps to fight wrinkles while moisturizing and calming skin. And I noticed the benefits after the first few uses and fell in love. It's $105 worth of miracle in one bottle. You just apply a few drops every night onto dry skin and massage it into your face until it turns clear. You should wait about 10 minutes before applying any other treatments or moisturizers because it's a little thick and you want it to settle in. Because of this, I usually use it as one of the last things I apply before going to bed every night.



     Now you can try these things out for yourselves and let me know how they work for you and your skin! Or let me know some awesome products that I should be checking out in the comment section. If you want to learn more about the products I've showcased, Sephora's website is always a good resource since it gives you ingredients, instructions on how to use, and even other people's reviews and ratings of the products. Good luck!

XO,
Ariel

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.